Thursday, March 26, 2009

How's the Training Going?

Truth is, not very well. I'm officially a week behind. I've been sick, probably another sinus infection, since Monday. Painful stuff, and very irritating. Plus, my Mondays and Wednesdays are a real headache until we get all this Mother's Day stuff out. I have 30 minutes to get home, eat, then leave for class. Lucky for me a lot of my "walking at work" (if you missed it, walking is my job) also involves lunges or squats, and even if it doesn't I pretend. I am going to try to do some yoga today, avoiding tilting my head too much. I go tomorrow for a physical, maybe I can get Dr. Cashier to Roto Rooter my sinuses while I'm there.

Last week however, was alright. A quick update on what I failed to post, straight from my Beginner Triathlete account:

Friday I did my 1.5 mile Penguin Run, I ran the first 6 minutes without stopping and it wasn't as bad as it had previously been. Why? Because the internet is an amazing place for info. You know, all those years of softball and gym class and I don't remember anyone once stopping me and saying, 'you've got it all wrong.' It might sound silly. I mean, how hard is it to run? You learn that when you're two. But after reading an article on about.com with just basic tips and such, it was so much easier! So I ran, then I walked, then I ran a little more, etc. And I finished 1.51 miles in 15 min 16 secs. A lot of room for improvement, but getting better. It feels good just to be able to say that I mostly ran instead of I mostly walked.

After my run I went to the gym and I swam 250 yards in 10 min 7 secs. Trying to remember everything I've read/ watched about swimming correctly/ efficiently is a bit intimidating when my head is half submerged. But overall, it went well. I wish I could be doing more swimming this week, along with everything else, but a pool isn't a good place for a sinus infection to be hanging out. Ouch! Thanks to United States Marine "JimmyDShea" for being such an awesome instructor. Check out his other videos too, he's pretty funny. Also just typing "triathlete swimming" into any search box, almost any, can retrieve helpful results. 


Saturday, after shopping and attending the Tour de Cure Kick off Party, Janean and I took our bicycles out to Watkins Mill. It was such a beautiful day, which lead to it being insanely crowded. It was fun though. We did almost 4 miles in around 24 minutes. I doubt we'll be going anywhere this weekend, there's snow in the forecast, but I would like to do something like that every weekend.

Sunday was my day off. I wouldn't have taken it though had I known that I would be sick and miserable the following week.

I have to go accomplish things now, before the water filter changing man gets here at noon. Pray that I don't drown in infected yellow snot while doing yoga!

2 comments:

Lippy said...

I totally bought cycling shorts this weekend!!!

Bobbi Sharp said...

Gotta love the "I'm wearing a freakin diaper" feeling they give ya huh?